• Mon. Dec 4th, 2023

UGANDA, Masaka | Real Muloodi News | A family in have started the new year in mourning after a house fire tragically took the life of a 6-year-old girl in Masaka on Monday night.

The terrible tragedy occurred at around 10pm at Kigo village, Nyendo-Mukungwe Division in Masaka City.

The fire, which is believed to have been caused by a faulty electrical wiring, destroyed a boys’ quarters, leaving one young girl dead and injuring another.

The girl who lost her life has been identified as Josephine Namuwanga. Her sister, Zabera Katusiime, survived with injuries to her torso and hands. Both children are daughters of Mr John Nsali and Ms Annet Nambooze.

Neighbours who were alerted to the fire by noise and smoke rushed to assist, however the fire had already engulfed the room in which Josephine was sleeping and they were unable to save the child’s life.

“We got her out when she was still alive but entirely burnt. We rushed her to Masaka Regional Referral Hospital where she was pronounced dead Tuesday morning,” said Mr Abel Kayima, a neighbour.

The girls’ brother, Mr Sam Lubega, confirmed that Zabera is in a stable condition and is being cared for at Masaka Regional Referral Hospital.

Southern Region Police Spokesperson, Mr Muhammad Nsubuga, confirmed Police in Masaka City are investigating the circumstances in which the 6-year-old perished in the house fire, but all indicators are pointing at faulty electrical wiring.

“The investigations are underway but poor electricity connection is likely to be the cause. We discourage people from working with people who are not authorized to distribute power,” Mr Nsubuga said.


Husband, Wife and Three Children Perish in House Fire in Namuwongo

Mukono Boarding School Catches Fire, 11 Girls Perish

Fire Burns Down 25 Stalls in Napier Market in Jinja City