• Sun. Jun 11th, 2023

UGANDA, Wakiso | Real Muloodi News | In a tragic incident, a builder was electrocuted to death at a construction site in Wakiso District.

Joseph Kabaaya, who was working at the Namusera trading centre construction site, accidentally hit an electric wire while passing an iron bar to his fellow builder on the next floor.

The incident occurred on Tuesday 25th April 2023, and Kabaaya was pronounced dead on the scene. The police were notified of the incident and visited the scene at around 2 pm.

Kabaaya’s body and the iron bar were picked up by the police as investigations continue.

Eyewitnesses expressed their shock and disbelief over the incident.

Yusuf Mukwaya, a neighbour, described Kabaaya as a kind and friendly person, and his death has left the community in shock.

Meanwhile, Jamadah Kigozi, a retired security personnel and a member of the security committee at Namusera Village, heard an explosion from his home and immediately went to the site. He saw fire and a person dangling before he fell dead.

The Wakiso police are currently investigating the circumstances surrounding the incident. Preliminary investigations indicate that Kabaaya was standing on the first floor of the building, which was a few meters away from the main power line.

As the investigations continue, the Kampala Metropolitan Police deputy spokesperson, Mr Luke Owoyesigire, is waiting for more information from the police officers at Wakiso police station.

A similar incident occurred in Jinja recently on Monday 17 April 2023, when a 25-year-old man in Butangala C Village in Buwenge Sub-County, was found dead in his garden after being electrocuted.

The victim, Ashraf Mudabanda, was discovered by his brother, Musa Kibedi, who had gone to check on him.

According to Kibedi, his brother was killed by loose electricity wires that were connected to neighbouring electric poles through his garden.

The police warned the public to be cautious and avoid activities that could lead to such incidents.

The authorities have also emphasised the need for proper education and awareness of the dangers of electrocution, especially in areas with power lines passing close to residential or construction sites.


Jinja Man Electrocuted, Dies in His Garden

Harsh Penalties to Combat Deadly Illegal Electricity Connections