• Wed. Jun 7th, 2023

UGANDA, Masaka | Real Muloodi News | Masaka City has been grappling with poor waste management since it was granted city status in July 2020, with city authorities unable to keep up with the 100 tonnes of garbage that is generated every week.

Masaka’s population has doubled in the last decade from 79,000 to 251,000 people, leading to an increase in garbage generated. However, according to authorities, the city can only collect 70% of the waste generated, leaving 30% uncollected due to the dwindling local revenue collection.

As waste management takes up 46% of the total budget of the city, the authorities have decided to hire private firms to manage solid waste.

On Tuesday 18th April 2023, Masaka City Council signed a contract with two firms, Youth in Action Masaka City (YAMAC) and Tusekimu Masaka City Association (TUMCAS), to manage solid waste.

TUMCAS will operate in Kimaanya/Kabonera Municipality, while YAMAC will manage Nyendo/Mukungwe Municipality.

The firms have been doing the work voluntarily since 2021 and have exhibited a high degree of competence, according to Mayor Florence Namayanja, who is optimistic that the firms will play a key role in making Masaka a clean city.

The contract signed on Tuesday states that the firms will have six months as a pilot project, after which their performance will be assessed for reconsideration by the city council authorities to continue managing waste in the city, said Vincent Okurut, Masaka City Clerk.

However, the city will still collect solid waste from the city streets, green spaces, and markets.

The Masaka City Health Inspector, Musa Maberi, said that every household or commercial shop in the city will pay USh100 per kilogramme of waste.

He warned the private firms against overcharging the residents while doing their work and added that the city authorities have the power to charge and prosecute those that will flout the set regulations.

The proprietor of YAMAC, Muhammad Male, said they have all that it takes to keep the city clean.

“We are happy that we have finally been given a chance to operate officially. We have been doing this work on a voluntary basis without expecting any pay, and now that we expect to earn something out of our sweat, we promise to serve the city dwellers better,” he said.


Property Tax: Masaka City Struggles to Collect Revenue

Important City Records Destroyed in Fire that Scorched Masaka City Stores

Over 20,000 Buildings Listed for Property Rates Tax in Masaka City