During a press release, the Uganda Bureau of Statistics (UBOS) reported a rise in residential rental prices in Greater Kampala.
Nakawa, Wakiso, Makindye and Kampala Central all saw a rental price hike during the Second Quarter of 2020/2021.
In the UBOS report, the overall Residential Property Price Index (RPPI) for the Greater Kampala Metropolitan Area registered a 9.7% increase from the previous year.
The UBOS study covers five divisions in the Greater Kampala Metropolitan Area (Central, Kawempe, Makindye, Nakawa & Rubaga), and urban areas of Wakiso District.
Annual Performance by District, Calendar Year 2019 to 2020
- Kampala Central increased from 7.2 to 12.0 per cent
- Makindye increased from 7.2 to 12.0 per cent
- Nakawa increased from negative 3.8 to 12.6 per cent
- Kawempe declined from 5.0 to negative 1.5 per cent
- Rubaga declined from 5.0 to negative 1.5 per cent
- Wakiso increased from negative 3.4 to 13.8 per cent
The Greater Kampala Metropolitan Area RPPI registered minus 3.3 percent during the second quarter 2020/2021, down from 5.8 percent during the first quarter 2020/2021.
Quarterly Performance by District, Q1 to Q2 2020/2021
- Kampala Central decreased by minus 8.1 per cent in Q2, compared to a minus 2.5 decrease in Q1.
- Makindye decreased by minus 8.1 per cent in Q2, compared to a minus 2.5 decrease in Q1.
- Nakawa decreased by minus 12.5 per cent in Q2, compared to a 13.0 per cent rise in Q1.
- Kawempe decreased by minus 12.4 per cent in Q2, compared to an 8.2 per cent rise in Q1.
- Rubaga decreased by minus 12.4 per cent in Q2, compared to an 8.2 per cent rise in Q1.
- Wakiso increased by 8.9 per cent in Q2, compared to a 9.5 per cent rise in Q1.
The rental property price index (RPPI) measures the change in price change of residential dwellings. UBOS uses a hedonic pricing approach while computing the RPPI. This method identifies price factors, the status of the house (whether it is new or used), the structure, the number of levels on the buildings, the number of bedrooms, and the nature of the roof, floor among others.
READ MORE LIKE THIS: